The “City of Doors”, is located atop the Spire in the Outer Planes. It has the shape of a torus; the city itself is located on the inner surface of the ring. There is no sky, simply an all-pervasive light that waxes and wanes to create day and night. Sigil cannot be entered or exited save via portals; although this makes it quite safe from any would-be invader, it also makes it a prison of sorts for those not possessing a portal key. Thus, many call Sigil “The Bird Cage” or “The Cage”. Though Sigil is commonly held to be located “at the center of the planes” (where it is positioned atop the infinitely tall Spire), some argue that this is impossible since the planes are infinite in all dimensions, and therefore there can never truly be a center to any of them, let alone all of them; thus, Sigil is of no special importance. Curiously, from the Outlands, one can see Sigil atop the supposedly infinite Spire. At the onset of The Great Divide The Lady of Pain sealed Sigil off from the rest of the planes and for centuries Sigil was inhabited only by her and the Dabus.
Sigil is divided into five wards.
- The Hive which is Sigil’s largest and most seedy section.
- The Lower Ward which is mostly an industrial section with portals leading to the Lower Planes on hand for raw material.
- The Clerk’s Ward which is the lesser bureaucrat’s preferred place of residence
- The Market and Guildhall Wards where most guild members and craftsman set up shop.
- The Lady’s Ward the richest district holding the “elite” of society.
The Dabus have built these huge support beams that are around 30’ in diamater and stand up 100’ straight up with large disks on top of them, there is a support pillar about every 50 yards. It has started to take the form of a highway of types above the city.
It’s rather strange, but noone questions the Dabus.
Factions play a large role in Sigil because a person is defined by more than just his race and class, his philosophy is key to understanding an individual.